The History of Our House
The architectural history of present-day Wasserburg begins in the year 1439, when the city – then consisting mainly of wooden buildings – was destroyed by a great fire. After that, it was decreed that only stone buildings could be constructed. Even today, many original buildings from that period can still be admired throughout the town.
The “Kernhaus,” which now houses the hotel, dates back to the Gothic period. In the mid-16th century, the larger left section of the building belonged to the Kern family, a wealthy family of citizens and merchants.
Between 1738 and 1740, the left and right sections of the building were united by a magnificent early Rococo façade created by the famous Munich court stucco artist Johann Baptist Zimmermann, who also decorated the Munich Residence, the Wieskirche, and Nymphenburg Palace with frescoes and stucco work.
In 1795, the core was acquired by the town, after which the city judge moved in, and the district court remained in the left section until 2013.
In the right section of the building, located in the heart of the old town and right next to the town hall, are the hotel and restaurant, which have been family-owned for many years.